Friends of Blandford Hospital
In July 1948 the National Health Service (NHS) with it maxim of health care ‘free at the point of consumption’ came into being. At a stroke the community hospital was absorbed into the NHS and it was decided by supporters of the old ‘League of’ support groups that the hospital would benefit from a similar support network otherwise known as “The League of Friends for the Hospital” so at a meeting chaired by Viscount Portman on 23rd November 1948 in Blandford Town Hall a committee was formed under the leadership of Colonel Carrington Sykes.
The ‘Friends of Blandford Hospital’ was formed.
Many of the supporters joined the new group and soon got down to raising funds. Its first fund raising effort was to provide items the hospital required. A financial target of £25 to £30 was set and soon achieved.